Saturday, February 11, 2012

Odds and Ends


I have to take a bit of a cop out here and just run through some random things bullet points style.  There are things I need to record and things swimming in my head that I need to get out.  Some of them may be worthy of their own post, but time is not my friend lately.  So here we go: 
  •  This is the end of week three of C25K for me.  Unfortunately, it is not the end of me actually completing the training set forth for that week.  I started day one.  After that, weather and physical things curbed me for the week.  But next week I shall start again!  I'm not discouraged at all.  Also, Josh has shown me how to use and operate out elliptical machine that I've never touched.  So that will be an added alternative on very cold days.  I kept up with my healthy eating and for that I am proud. 
  • Last weekend was Jane's baby shower.  We came together to celebrate and welcome baby Ada.  She should make her arrivale at the beginning of March! I was so happy to be able to take part in making that day special for Jane.  It was lovely to see her literally glowing in her pregnancy as she visited with friends and family and opened the gifts she was given to ensure a good start with her daughter.  I am happy to be on this journey with my friend through this next step in her life. :)
  • Next weekend is Josh's father's surprise 50th birthday party.  I am so excited for that as well.  In the arena of pseudo in-alws, I have really lucked out.  Jeff is the father and grandfather my kids and I can't have.  And Marie and I are friends and partners in most things concerning this family.  I'm so lucky.  And the friendship means so much.  Sometimes it's hard to be in the middle of both sides of things where drama is concerned.  But we make the most of it.  And we laugh and have good times.  I know that I am loved and I know that I am welcome in this family.  And I know that my kids are as well.  I don't think I could ask for much more. 
  • Monday, the day before Valentine's Day, Josh and I are both taking a much needed day off of work together.  While the kids are in school, we're sneaking off to a romantic lunch at Melting Pot.  Yes it's expensive, yes it's cliche and over the top.  But neither of us have ever been and we're very much looking forward to it.  I mentioned to Josh a few weeks ago how I feel about Valentine's Day.  I don't care that it's not cool to like it; I do.  I don't want to become one of those couples who says "Oh, we've been together too long to celebrate that.  We don't do anything for that."  To me that's as lame as saying "oh,  we don't watch TV or eat foods with the letter "e" in them, or use cars."  Or whatever the cool hipster thing is to dislike these days.  I like being romantic and Josh and I are in love.  Why shouldn't we take advantage of a day set aside to celebrate it? 
  • A couple evenings ago, I had to go outside to call Noah inside for dinner.  He was down the street and I stood in the driveway and watched him ride his bike back home.  Speeding.  Standing up while pedalling.  Hooting and hollaring.  He was a BOY.  I know intellectually that he is fast approaching seven years old.  But emotionally, in my heart, he's a lot younger.  And to see him come flying down that street put a lump in my throat and a smile on my face.  He was late, and he hadn't been where he said he was.  I walked outside angry.  But very much with every push of the pedal he took, and every whoop that escaped his mouth, the aggravation melted away.  I was happy for him.  He is strong and healthy.  And I was happy for me.  I did that.  I made the decisions that allowed that tiny baby to become a safe, happy, healthy boy.  I was very happy for us both by the time he flew in the driveway.  I didn't even scold him.  I asked him nicely to return his bike and helmet to the garage and to come in for dinner.  And you know what - he did.  Like a good boy should.  





1 comment:

  1. I love this post... Especially the last part about Noah

    ReplyDelete